Our most popular new appetizer! This delicious combination of seafood is flavored with the famous 5-spice powder. The light coating, combined with flash-frying, ensures that the squid & shrimp stay tender & moist. Some of our guests tried squid for the first time really enjoyed it.
Oriental Wok’s 5-Spice Shrimp & Squid recipe:
* 1 cup squid, cut into rings
* 1 cup small shrimp, cooked
* 1/4 cup green pepper
* 1/4 cup red pepper, fine dice
* 1/4 cup red onion, fine dice
* 1/4 cup jalepeño, fine dice
* 1 egg lightly beaten
* Vegetable oil for deep frying
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger powder
* 1/8 teaspoon 5-spice powder
Mix all ingredients for the seasoning salt and set aside. Heat oil in a saucepan to 325°F. Coat squid and shrimp with egg and dredge in cornstarch with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry squid and shrimp until crispy and golden brown.
Heat a skillet or wok until very hot and add the finely diced vegetables. Stirfry until hot and fragrant. Add squid & shrimp stirring continuously. Sprinkle the seasoning salt onto the squid, shrimp & vegetables.